- Forgetting what lies behind: Philippians 3:13-14
- Leaning forward to what lies ahead: Isaiah 43:18-19
- There are things tht can’t be left behind and there are things that must be left behind. This message is about how to discern the two lists.
- You come to know Christ at a moment in time, but you demonstrate conversion by the way you live.
1. I must forget those things which are behind (v 13a)
- The contextual thing forgetting is the pride of life – that pride won’t save Paul (or me); or forgetting the things that make me believe I don’t need Jesus Christ
- Looking in the rearview mirror we often see lies
- Lies about needing Jesus. I don’t need Jesus because: I’m smart; attracted or talented; young or healthy; I’m good; I’m too bad;
- There is just one answer to every human condition: Jesus Christ (John 3:16)
- For some people pain and shame keep me looking backwards
- Forgetting means the massive mountain of pain holding me getting forward in 2014
- Forgetting means forgiving
- I can’t forget until I forgive
- Forgiving is the letting go, stop carrying it around
- The Bible calls for immediate, unilateral, total forgiveness.
- Immediate means right now
- Unilateral means no strings attached, all people, nothing held back
- Total means everything, all offenses
- Forgiveness is not: resourcing, rescuing, risking
- Forgiveness is a decision to release a person from the obligation that resulted when they injured me.
- Forgiveness is saying “you don’t owe me”
- You don’t need to tell a person you forgive them
- Forgiveness takes time
- Forgiving begins in a crisis and continues through a process.
- All that has been is for what is coming
- Get a high view of God (Isaiah 43)
- Manassa – God has made me forget (Genesis 41:51)
- Put reminders in my life of God’s faithfulness and goodness – it’ll help me with forgiveness
- Forgetting does not mean forgetting the lessons learned, just the pain, problems, etc.
2. I must lean forward to the things that are ahead (v 13b)
- Lean forward carries the notion of 100% dedication, using every ounce of their being to get that millimeter forward
- Carrying the past puts me on my heels
- HBC year end $ need has been met
- 5G: Glorifying, Growing, Gracious, Grateful, Generous